Italian Wedding Soup
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
The meatballs in this traditional Italian soup are so good, you might want to make an extra batch to eat on their own! When simmered in this soup though, they infuse the broth with a delicious beefy flavor that is a perfect partner to the fresh vegetables, basil and penne pasta.
- 4 cans College Inn® Fat Free & Lower Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 cans College Inn® Beef Broth
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. bulk Italian sausage
- 3 medium carrots , sliced
- 3 celery ribs , diced
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 4-1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach , thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 envelope of onion soup mix
- 4-1/2 tsp. ketchup
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
1. Combine eggs and bread crumbs in a large bowl.
2. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. balls.
3. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
4. Bake at 350 deg for 15-18 minutes or until no longer pink.
5. Meanwhile, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil in a Dutch oven until tender.
6. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, spinach, basil, soup mix, ketchup, thyme and bay leaves.
7. Drain meatballs on paper towels. Bring soup to a boil; add meatballs.
8. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
9. Add pasta; cook 13-15 minutes longer or until tender, stirring occasionally.
10.Discard bay leaves.